Wednesday, August 24, 2016

New Fantasy Football Keeper League Format

Keeper League Strategy

We have a 12-team keeper lead with standard scoring, non-PPR.  We also have 2 bonus pts for 300-399 yards passing and 400+, and 2 pts for 100-199 rushing or receiving, and 2 for 200+ for each.

We recently converted to a keeper format, and our rules are a bit different.
  • We get to keep three players.
  • If it is the first year keeping them, you keep them in exchange for a pick in the round they were originally drafted (regardless of who drafted them).
  • If they were kept the previous season (regardless of who kept them), you give up a pick from two rounds earlier.

This style makes it tougher to evaluate keepers (or easier!).  My instinct is to evaluate on the round I get to keep them versus their Estimated Draft Position.  If I can keep a guy in a much later round than they are being drafted, it sounds like good value.

Here are my options, with the round I can keep them, the EDP, and the difference between the rounds:

Player
Keeper Rnd
EDP*
Diff
Julio Jones
1
1
0
Andrew Luck
3
4
-1
Duke Johnson
8
5
3
Jordan Matthews
10
5
5
Julius Thomas
12
9
3
Blake Bortles
15
7
8
Kelvin Benjamin
15
3
12
* using FootballGuys Draft Dominator with my league settings

I also have the 4th pick in the draft, so somebody decent will be available to grab.  As such, I am ruling JJ out.  I really wanted to keep Luck, but keeping him in a round earlier than the EDP doesn’t seem wise.

Blake Bortles and Kelvin Benjamin in the 15th seem like steals, and such, no brainers.  Who else to keep then?  Jordan Matthews with the next best value at 5 rounds late?  JT for the hookup with BB?

Any thoughts on this strategy would be much appreciated!

No comments: