Monday, September 17, 2012

Redskins Starting QBs since 1985

I was tired during all the referees-figuring-out-what-to-do-or-looking-at-a-replay breaks during tonight's MNF game between Atlanta and Denver.  They showed a stat that no team had turned the ball over 4 times in the 1st quarter since the 2002 Redskins (vs Saints) when Patrick Ramsey was the QB.  I laughed and repeated the stat to my wife.  She retorted, "wow, I had forgotten all about him."  When I thought about it, I had too.

That got me thinking about my Redskins.  Wow - HOW MANY quarterbacks have started for them since the night Lawrence Taylor broke Joe Theismann's leg on MNF??  We've had so many, I've forgotten most.  So I decided to investigate.  Off to Wikipedia I went...and here is what I found.

Twenty-six.  Yes, 26.  Listed below, in order of appearance.
  1. J.Schroeder (85-87)
  2. E.Ruppert (87)
  3. D.Williams (87-89)
  4. M.Rypien (89-93)
  5. S.Humphries (90)
  6. R.Gannon (93)
  7. C.Conklin (93)
  8. H.Shuler (94-95)
  9. J.Friesz (94)
  10. G.Frerotte (94-98)
  11. J.Hostetler (97)
  12. T.Green (98)
  13. B.Johnson (99-00)
  14. J.George (00-01)
  15. T.Banks (01)
  16. S.Matthews (02)
  17. P.Ramsey (02-05)
  18. D.Wuerffel (02)
  19. T.Hasselbeck (03)
  20. M.Brunell (04-06)
  21. J.Campbell (06-09)
  22. T.Collins (07)
  23. D.McNabb (10)
  24. R.Grossman (10-11)
  25. J.Beck (11)
  26. R.Griffin III (12)
Yikes!  For some reason, some always stood out in my memory (before looking at this list):
  • Schroeder (grumpy)
  • Williams (you know he only started 14 regular season games!)
  • Rypien (who can forget him?)
  • Humphries (like him a lot - was happy we traded him so he could start - took San Diego to their only Super Bowl appearance)
  • Frerotte (great, humble guy who probably shouldn't have been a starter, but played above his level)
  • T.Green (was bummed we let him go to the Rams)
  • B.Johnson (bum deal, J.George controversy)
  • J.George (wasted space)
  • Brunell (frustrating - was never sure why Gibbs wanted him, but somehow he did well enough to take the Skins to the playoffs.)
  • Campbell (loved the person, big-time raw deal)
  • McNabb (NEVER liked the deal)
  • Grossman (hopefully will soon be forgotten)
  • Beck (see Grossman)
In typical Redskins fashion, Rich Gannon and Brad Johnson went on to win Super Bowls with other teams.  All the other QB's, even Shuler and Ramsey, kind of slipped off the radar.

Yes, it's been a tough quarter-century for us Redskins fans.  Hopefully we'll have one for at least half of the next quarter-century.

No comments: